Sunday, September 3, 2023

3 Sep 2023 - Visit with DeWitt Classmate Vickie (Prier) Garwood and husband Bruce

 


Today we were so fortunate to be able to reconnect with a classmate and neighbor of mine from our DeWitt Iowa days, Vickie (Prier) Garwood.  As you may know, my father Lowell "Lefty" Schellhase served in the Iowa Highway Patrol for over 29 years and during that time every time he was promoted we had to move. In 1960 we moved to DeWitt Iowa when he was promoted to Lieutenant in charge of District 12.  I was five years old, so I started kindergarten in DeWitt and we lived there until 1970, the last day of my freshman year of high school.  Then Dad was promoted to Captain in charge of the northeast quarter of the state.  This required us to move to Cedar Falls where I finished my high school days at Northern University High School, met Doreen, enlisted in the Air Force and the rest is history!  

In DeWitt, Vickie Prier and her family lived just down the street and around the corner from us, so we all grew up together and attended school together, for the most part.  DeWitt was in the Central Community School District, so there were years when they would ship specific classes to neighboring towns of Welton and Grand Mound and then back to DeWitt for later years.  I attended K-3 at DeWitt, then 4-6 in Grand Mound, then 7-8 was junior high school back in DeWitt and finally 9-12 was high school, but I only did my freshman year in DeWitt before we moved.  So bottom line, Vickie and I were in the same class but not in all of the same classes.  But as neighbors we were never too far apart!  I consider DeWitt 'home' as that is really where I grew up. 

Vickie and her husband Bruce Garwood live here in Colorado Springs, actually just a few miles from where we are camping. They invited us over for brunch this morning and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. After brunch Vickie brought out her high school annuals and we cruised through the pictures, reviewing names/faces, talking about those who have passed away, who dated who, etc. It was so much fun. With the exception of a handful of DeWitt Facebook friends, I had lost contact with most from the class.  Vickie is a retired school teacher and Bruce retired as a Commander in the US Navy. I really enjoyed talking with Bruce and learning about his military service.  Most of his service was as a submariner.   

Bruce and his tribute wall! 

Today I learned about the Navy tradition called the “Order of the Blue Nose” that states that when sailors cross into the Arctic Circle, they enter the realm of Boreas Rex, King of the North. To be accepted into the order, sailors must complete a list of challenges.

This is LCDR Garwood's certificate and picture of his “Order of the Blue Nose”

We had a great time and have invited Vickie and Bruce out to see our RV tomorrow and to continue our conversations.  They can access the Air Force Academy since Bruce is retired military.

No comments:

Post a Comment